The Open Source Definition (Annotated) Version 1.9 The indented, italicized sections below appear as annotations to the Open Source Definition (OSD) and are not a part of the OSD. A plain version of the OSD without annotations can be found here (http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd).
Introduction Open source doesn't just mean access to the source code. The distribution terms of open-source software must comply with the following criteria:
1. Free Redistribution The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale. Rationale: By constraining the license to require free redistribution, we eliminate the temptation for licensors to throw away many long-term gains to make short-term gains. If we didn't do this, there would be lots of pressure for cooperators to defect.
2. Source Code The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost, preferably downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed. Rationale: We require access to un-obfuscated source code because you can't evolve programs without modifying them. Since our purpose is to make evolution easy, we require that modification be made easy.
3. Derived Works The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software. Rationale: The mere ability to read source isn't enough to support independent peer review and rapid evolutionary selection. For rapid evolution to happen, people need to be able to experiment with and redistribute modifications.
4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a different name or version number from the original software. Rationale: Encouraging lots of improvement is a good thing, but users have a right to know who is responsible for the software they are using. Authors and maintainers have reciprocal right to know what they're being asked to support and protect their reputations. Accordingly, an open-source license must guarantee that source be readily available, but may require that it be distributed as pristine base sources plus patches. In this way, "unofficial" changes can be made available but readily distinguished from the base source.
5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons. Rationale: In order to get the maximum benefit from the process, the maximum diversity of persons and groups should be equally eligible to contribute to open sources. Therefore we forbid any open-source license from locking anybody out of the process. Some countries, including the United States, have export restrictions for certain types of software. An OSD-conformant license may warn licensees of applicable restrictions and remind them that they are obliged to obey the law; however, it may not incorporate such restrictions itself.
6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research. Rationale: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit license traps that prevent open source from being used commercially. We want commercial users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.
7. Distribution of License The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties. Rationale: This clause is intended to forbid closing up software by indirect means such as requiring a non-disclosure agreement.
8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution. Rationale: This clause forecloses yet another class of license traps.
9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software. Rationale: Distributors of open-source software have the right to make their own choices about their own software. Yes, the GPL v2 and v3 are conformant with this requirement. Software linked with GPLed libraries only inherits the GPL if it forms a single work, not any software with which they are merely distributed.
10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual technology or style of interface. Rationale: This provision is aimed specifically at licenses which require an explicit gesture of assent in order to establish a contract between licensor and licensee. Provisions mandating so-called "click-wrap" may conflict with important methods of software distribution such as FTP download, CD-ROM anthologies, and web mirroring; such provisions may also hinder code re-use. Conformant licenses must allow for the possibility that (a) redistribution of the software will take place over non-Web channels that do not support click-wrapping of the download, and that (b) the covered code (or re-used portions of covered code) may run in a non-GUI environment that cannot support popup dialogues.
The Open Source Definition was originally derived from the Debian Free Software Guidelines (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines) (DFSG).
Opensource.org site content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). Hosting for Opensource.org is generously provided by DigitalOcean (http://www.digitalocean.com/). Please see Terms of Service (../ToS).
The Open Source Definition (Annotated) | Open Source Initiative
From The Board (/Blog)
Search this website...
The government of Canada (GOC) produces more software (aka. applications, code, computer programs, scriptsâ¦) then you might think. All the data recently published on Data.gc.ca had to come from somewhere! In-house software is often needed to collec
Habitat is a simple and yet powerful self-contained object storage management system. Based on Amazon Web Services, it is capable of virtually unlimited storage. Instead of a large centralized management system, Habitat can be used as a local reposit
A python package built on unittest for running verification tests on Abaqus user subroutines. NASA Open ... Below, I'll describe the features provided by kplr but to get things started, let's see an example of how you would go about finding the publi
Konrad, who knows bioteknologi dalam rekayasa genetika how to read and write, becomes entangled in a bad way. Nestled Gregor Wilders, his propaganda payments count intrinsically. Amos bourgeois masters, their attacks Sitwell pdf signieren open source
Intelligence Agency, Joint Military Intelligence Training Center, by OPEN SOURCE SOLUTIONS,. Inc., using copyrighted ..... "warrior classes and how open sources apply to intelligence analysis of each; discussion of the four types of ..... seers, repr
Queries return entities matching certain criteria. In greenDAO you can formulate queries with raw SQL, or more easily with the QueryBuilder API. Also, queries support lazy-loading results, which may save memory and performance when operating on large
Jul 11, 2017 - The OGP Toolbox is a web portal bringing together digital tools to promote openness in government and improve democracy. The platform aggregates software and services used by governments and civil society around the world for referenci
Here you can find all the updatede from Kaa Team.
Aug 29, 2013 - This document identifies key challenges and opportunities in the government application of Open Source Software (OSS), as reported in interviews of experts, suppliers, and potential users. There are many challenges to the collaborative
Dec 13, 2011 - Kemudian disepakati untuk menggunakan nama APKOM sebagai wadah bersama yang didirikan ini. Awalnya yang disepakati APKOM adalah akronim dari Asosiasi Pedagang Komputer, namun akronim ini diubah menjadi Asosiasi Pengusaha Komputer yang
Secara teknis CentOS merupakan turunan Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) namun bebas dari kewajiban membeli layanan pemeliharaan. ... Toyota Camry generasi mendatang akan menjadi kendaraan pertama yang memanfaatkan fitur sistem Infotainment berbasis si
Jump to Q: Is the GPL compatible with Government Unlimited Rights contracts ... - Any software that has a non-government use and is licensed to the public is commercial software, by definition, including OSS programs licensed to the government using
With open source use mandates for government agencies, you need an established set of tools and processes to detect and manage open source security risks.
Jun 14, 2015 - Jika sebelumnya bentuk pendistribusian dalam bentuk binner, pada sistem berbasis unix juga disertakan source code dari program tersebut. Selain dengan media magnetik, pendistribusian juga mulai dilakukan melalui jaringan secara online
Only Sport will solve Uganda's Youth Unemployment Time Bomb. ... Open Letter to HE the President From the Sportsman ... Physical Education is not Sport) Minister & Parliament; Replace the National Council of Sports with a National Sports Authority Re
Use GLAMkit's built-in modules, or easily create your own specifically for your site's design. Screenshot ... Integrate your systems to build a platform for your museum data. Because it's ... Synchronise with Digital Asset Management systems like Net
Some features are built into the system core (Core), while others can be added by installing third-party extensions (Ext) that are freely available in the TYPO3 ... Configurable UI Levels, â¢, â¢, Customizable/Skinnable backend interface for editor
Aug 19, 2016 - Perhaps the Obama administration's most significant action to incorporate the benefits of software into government occurred last week, with the release of a memo on federal source code policy. The memo prioritizes the development of op